Friday, January 31, 2020

I'm Not Laughing You're Laughing

Have you ever been that kid?
The one in the back row, 

Putting on a one-kid show.
One is the loneliest number.
It says polly-tickle.
Your mom goes to college.
Those are "jokes."

And finally, the teacher has had enough and calls you out.

Mrs. Parish, please come to the front of the classroom, and
Prove that [ cos(x) - sin(x) ][ cos(2x) - sin(2x) ] = cos(x) - sin(3x)
Here's a highlight from my life.
One time when I was about 15 years old, I came home from some thing


~ pretty sure the thing was just me and some 
parents watching their kid have a good time ~

And I was just on fire.
Like, I came home funny.
Jokes like I hadn't told since my "drunk Harry" routine in the third grade. 
Am I making any sense?
I'm saying that when I got home that night, I launched into my version of a comedy routine that was good enough to make my mom laugh a pretty good minute...
And then ask me if I was high.
"High on life," I squealed, and I feel like I'd never heard anybody else say that at that point in my life, but I can't really be sure about that part.
I just know I was funny.
And I wasn't high.
And I liked it a lot.

If you don't know or remember the story of Isaac, this and this should get you close.
Read it or not,
know this:

Sarah said, "I didn't laugh."
And the LORD said, "No, but you did laugh."

     And the LORD said, "No, but you did laugh."

          And the LORD said, "No, but you did laugh."

I've read that story countless times, but having read it again recently, I can't stop laughing (to myself!) about that one little part.

No, but you did.

via GIPHY

I was with a group of ladies recently, watching a video lesson about this story.  It's all very serious and the speaker was very informative.  At right about the part where teacher lady was explaining the reason that Sarah laughed, a friend from a couple of tables over sent me a text that made me snicker out loud.  I texted back, and just like that, we were a two-kid show.


Back to Sarah in Genesis 18:15.  It had only been a minute earlier when God spoke to Abraham, and Abraham laughed.  My smaller group of ladies met after the video and discussed the reasons that Abraham and Sarah responded the way they did to God's promise.  In any case, both of them laughed about what God was telling them, and God said,
Please come to the front of the classroom, and prove...
If you're really and truly reading this story in Genesis, it's pretty easy to see how disappointed Sarah might have been about her circumstances, to see that she was living with some real grief.  And it's not hard for me to read "Sarah laughed" through all kinds of lenses, reaching all kinds of conclusions about why she did it.

Have you ever been that kid?    

Sarah eventually had a baby and you know what that baby's name means?

He laughs.

I've been thinking about goals, 
Which is essentially asking
Who I want to be.
I want to be that kid.

No comments: