Monday, June 24, 2019

Holy, Supposed

But what if we weren't a Christian organization?



I manage a thrift shop.
A considerably sized, highly impactful, (98%) volunteer-run, Christian thrift shop.

It's a lot.
A lot of donations, a lot of customers, a lot of volunteers, and
A lot of opportunity to fall short.

And it happens regularly:
I fall short, say, being short with someone.
And in response, I hear:
"But you're supposed to be a Christian.
This is supposed to be a Christian organization."

Sometimes I realize I've done it quickly enough to apologize
Before my offense has registered.
And then I usually get the same response.
"You're supposed to be a Christian.
This is supposed to be a Christian organization."

But what does this really mean?

I mean, I mostly get it.
In being a Christian,
I am supposed to follow the example that
Jesus set while he was being a human.

And I get that people have a higher expectation of me
Because I am a Christian
Because I work for a Christian organization.

I should do better.
Those are reasonable expectations.

But what if I wasn't a Christian?

If a person isn't a Christian, isn't working for a Christian organization,
It doesn't matter if they make a mistake?

Or is it that non-Christian folks just don't make mistakes?

If neither is true, (and neither is true), then what does one say to someone
Who falls short, but isn't a Christian, isn't working at a Christian organization?

"But you're supposed to be a ..." what?

Years ago, one of our customers wrote a note about how she grew up going to our thrift shop, and how one of her family's favorite things about it was "to see if that day's volunteers were friendly or grumpy."

That family had reasonable expectations of the volunteers serving with a Christian thrift shop, but also understood that folks working at a Christian thrift shop are still human and just as prone to falling short as other folks. 

I think about that note regularly.

My boss said he'd like to see me apologize less often.
Not apologize less often than I should
But have fewer reasons for which I owe an apology.
It's a reasonable expectation.

As it seems to me that it should be.
Not just of me because I am a Christian and work for a church,
Not just of folks who are following Jesus, trying to follow his example,
But of all of us because we're supposed to be a [what?]

I would say because we're supposed to all of us be doing the best we can, assuming that others are doing the same, and showing grace to one another when we fall short.

Maybe I have unreasonable expectations.
And if so, I apologize.
But I'll probably do it again.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Reminds me of discussions I habe with myself.