Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Mighty

I "got saved" (a phrase still too church-y ) when I was a child but I didn’t understand what that meant, didn’t understand salvation until many years later, as an adult.

There’s this verse, Romans 5:8, that says, "But God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Or in other words, God says, "I loved you at your darkest."

I’ve seen a lot of darkness since I was a child. I’ve had the great misfortune of having to witness my own dark side at work. And I’ve been down in a pit so deep and so dark that I’d lost all hope of ever seeing daylight again. I never could have dug myself out of such a place. But God...

God made all of this ~ everything ~ and that’s pretty powerful. And He made me too. And He loves me - in spite of everything I’ve ever done, in spite of everything I ever will do.  And, well, that’s pretty powerful too.

Left to my own devices, I would just keep digging. I would eventually cover myself over in my hole. Left to myself, I would destroy myself. But God is mightier than my will. He is stronger than my self-destructive nature. His love for me is more vast in every direction than the deepest pit of hell and He sent Jesus to raise me up out of it. All I have to do - all any of us ever have to do - is just reach up and accept His offer.

I was given a very special opportunity to speak these words into a microphone along with a couple of my very most favorite friends.  To See this message rather than just read it, click: Mighty To Save.

"The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light.
And for those who lived in the land where death casts its shadow, a light has shined."

Matthew 4:16 (NLT)






2 comments:

Robert said...

I still can scarcely grasp this entire concept, Amanda (your post is beautifully and eloquently written, by the way), and I’ve been “saved” for decades.

It’s boggling to think that He loved each of us enough to provide a guaranteed method of being made spotless and new before we ever even committed our first inevitable sin.

Simply staggering. So why don’t more people get this, hmm?

Amanda Parish said...

i think, perhaps, we struggle to grasp this idea of unwavering, unmerited, unending love because we, ourselves, are not capable of the same. i, personally, tend to think (though not on purpose) that if i can't do it, then no-one can.

and i also know more about myself than any person here - and that perspective makes it very hard to believe that someone could love me as much as He does. but that's it - the beauty and simplicity of grace. He loves me. period.